My copy of Ready Player One is a paperback. This presents a problem, as the book cover I am designing is intended to be primarily a dust cover for a hardback. I really don’t want to destroy a book in order to present my final piece (by gluing a print of my cover and sticking it over another), so I have decided to simply print out my cover and wrap it around one of the hardback books I own.
Going down this route makes it very easy for me to know my measurements and proportions for my final piece. I have decided to use my personal copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone for display purposes, and replace its own dust jacket with the one I create. I chose this book in particular because the book is of a similar length to Ready Player One, and the proportions of the cover are simple and easy to work with (they are mostly integers, so I won’t be fiddling around with decimals).
The size of the entire dust cover laid out is 57cm x 23.5cm (length x width). This is then split into five different sections to cover the book – the two wrapping pieces at the edges that hold the cover in place, the front and back covers, and the spine. The proportions of these pieces are as follows:
- Right Wrap: 11cm x 23.5cm
- Back Cover: 16cm x 23.5cm
- Spine: 3cm x 23.5cm
- Front Cover: 16cm x 23.5cm
- Left Wrap: 11cm x 23.5cm
Being a visual learner that finds things easier to understand in a diagram, I roughly wrote and drew this all out so that it’s easier for me to understand. It might not make sense to other people, but it’s notation that I know and understand, and can work with easily.
(W= Wrap, C = Cover, S = Spine – all measurements are in centimetres.)
With this, I created a guide in my sketchbook which was roughly proportioned correctly. I used one side of the page to experiment on, before deciding that it would be more worthwhile to create a correctly proportioned template and use that instead.
I then took this knowledge to Photoshop, creating a template 2 times bigger than the actual measurements so things can be scaled down without losing quality, and definitely be in proportion. I then set out the measurements visually and in text, so I can use it as a guide for creating my final piece. The spine is in purple, the covers in pink, and the wraps in orange.
This will really aid my project as I can take the template I have created and print it to use as a template for my sketches and experiments. To make the template to draw on I simply removed the coloured backgrounds and the text, and added a border to make this:
I can use this both for sketching on as a print, or digitally as a guideline. When printed it will be on A4, so it won’t be entirely to scale but it will be in proportion, which is a very valuable resource for me to use.